See, the gods and goddesses got the lemon season totally right. Sunny yellow? Check. Tart but ready for a bit of sweet sugar? Check. A perfect transition between seasons.
Yet, the gods and goddesses did manage to get a few things wrong. Limes and avocados ripe in the winter to spring months, but the tomatoes for guac in August. What in the world does that do to margarita season? Another gripe is the whole root vegetable thing in October. Here along the Pacific coast, October is sunny and warm and inviting and begs for leisurely walks to soak in the sun’s rays. Do root vegetables go with this vibe? I think not.
For now, let’s get back to Springtime, and lemons, and strawberries and make a lemon pound cake and smother a thick slice with strawberries fresh from the field. We can all get on board with that plan.
Lemon Pound Cake
For the cake
- Cooking spray
- 3 TBS dry breadcrumbs
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 TBS grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 8 oz low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the topping:
- 2 baskets fresh strawberries, cleaned and sliced into thirds
- 1 TBS sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray, and dust with the breadcrumbs.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Beat the butter in a large bowl at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the granulated sugar and lemon extract, beating until well-blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add grated lemon rind and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; beat 30 seconds. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with sour cream, beating at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Combine 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and powdered sugar. Drizzle glaze over top of cake.
- Prepare strawberries by combining strawberries and sugar in a bowl and allowing to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice lemon pound cake and top with strawberries.
- Simply delicious!
- This is a perfect dessert for a meal you are hosting because the cake can be made a day before.
- Sneaking a thin slice of the pound cake for breakfast is totally acceptable.