The sun is shining, everyone is getting back outside, and summer is on our minds. With summer comes county fairs, and with county fairs comes deep fried everything. In honor of mass produced food-like products that are deep fried and offered to you on a stick, I bring you deep fried Oreos.
This recipe comes from one of the best browsing cookbooks ever, America’s Best BBQ, on the pages featuring Righteous Urban Barbecue in New York, New York. The book features dishes from some of our country’s best BBQ joints. Each page is loaded with color pictures, usually highlighting amazing and well seasoned BBQ pits, restaurants looking more like shacks than anything corporate America would ever go for, lots and lots and lots of amazing pork, and rank amateur photos of gut busting food. True Americana.
2 cups white cake mix
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 TBS oil
Canola oil for frying
1 package Oreo cookies
Powdered sugar for garnish
1. Preheat the oil in a deep-fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, blend the cake mix, eggs, mild, and oil until it forms a smooth batter.
3. Dip the cookies in the batter until totally coated and them place in the hot oil. The cookies will gloat. Fry the cokies until the bottom sides are brown. Keep a close watch because it takes only a short time to brown them. Turn the cookies over and brown the other side. Remove the cookies, drain on a paper towel-lined plate, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- Taste? Come on now, they are Deep Fried Oreos in cake batter!
- Personally, I’m not an Oreo fan, but the warm filling and the fried cake batter coating was noteworthy.
- Yes, more deep fried Oreos were consumed than we care to admit.