When the Brentwood farmers’ market opened for the season, I griped endlessly about the number of farmers from out of the area selling their wares. We had 3 healthy strawberry stands open just a stone’s throw from the market, but only strawberries from a good hundred miles away were available. What’s up with that? Finally, many local producers are represented at the market. This can be rough on the small farmers as they need to be running a stand at the farmers’ market as well as their own farm stand in town. For so many family farms, this is quite an undertaking.
Moffat Ranch peaches. I’d seen the sign for their peaches on the road between Farmer’s Daughter and Chan’s Berries, but never took the detour. Luckily I met them at the farmers’ market. These are the nicest people you ever have met, and their peaches are truly divine. The peaches that weren’t just sliced and slurped up at home made it into this delicious crisp.
Peach and Blackberry Crisp
For the filling:
5 large ripe peaches, pitted and cut into chunks
1 basket blackberries, rinsed
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 TBS all-purpose flour
1/4 cup tightly packed brown sugar
2 TBS sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch kosher salt
For the topping:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pea sized pieces
1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
Pinch kosher salt
1 to 2 TBS cold water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For the filling, toss the peaches in a large bowl with the zest and lemon juice. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Pour into a 10 by 13 casserole dish.
3. For the topping, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor except the water. Pulse until combined, this will take about 30 seconds. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture is clumpy but crumbly. Sprinkle over the peach mixture, crumbling the topping so it doesn’t clump.
4. Bake for 60 minutes, or until the filling is hot and bubbly and the topping, brown and crispy.
- This was a breeze to put together!