How do you know that your sandwich totally rocks? Why, of course, by sitting down at the lunch table at work, pulling out a sandwich that is technically a left over from dinner the night before, and coworkers’ jaws dropping with jealousy. Fortunately, I work with a healthy bunch who all love a good meal. Lunch discussions are more about current events, political ideology, local foods, and our profession in general, than anything found in People magazine or at TMZ. Personally, this suits me well.
Back to the sandwich. This little ditty is a breeze to make. Simply combine the marinade ingredients and sliced veggies in a zip-lock bag and leave it on the counter. Take a break from that amazing challenging task (tee-hee) while the marinade does its magic. Finally, do a quick cook in the pan, assemble, and devour. This is not the “oh my goodness, this IS spicy” kind of spicy like the grilled vegetable sandwich recipe, but rather the sweet on the front of the tongue followed by a delightful slow burn in the back of the mouth kind of spicy.
Spice of Life Vegetarian Sandwiches
makes 4 sandwiches
- 1/4 tsp each: salt, thyme, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne pepper, Chinese 5 spice powder, ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon light mayonnaise
- 8 slices French bread
- Mozzarella or Jack cheese slices
- basil leaves
- Combine spices, vinegar and oil in a large zip-top plastic bag and mix together. Add zucchini, onion, bell pepper,seal and shake well to coat. Let stand 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Dump the contents of the bag into the pan and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Divide sauteed vegetables among 4 french bread slices. Top each with a slice of cheese. Broil until cheese softens, about 1 minute. Add remaining bread slices to the baking sheet and broil for 1 more minute or until the cheese melts and the bread browns, then lightly spread with mayonnaise. Top cheese with basil leaves and toasted bread.
- Feel free to be pretty flexible with the veggies in here. Any kind of squash or some eggplant would be perfect.
- I totally like to snack on left overs. These veggies are best in sandwiches and just don’t work well with casual “let me nibble on a few bites of zucchini” snacking style.
- There are just enough juices to soak into the bread, providing some extra love.
- If you clicked over to the grilled vegetable sandwich, you’ll notice how much the palm trees in the back yard have grown over the years. There are 3 palms, with one of the three being a trio itself. When we bought them about 5 years ago, they all fit in the back of our SUV. Believe it or not!