With the opening of Lon’s Organic farm stand, summer is officially here! The cool Spring made for a late crop of tomatoes but they are finally gracing us with their presence. Living amidst endless plots of Brentwood Sweet Corn and tomatoes, we eat them daily while in season then go cold turkey during the off season. Even living in the land of plenty, it is easy to depend on just a few go to recipes. Truly, I am a master of the corn with black bean and tomato salads. Yes, it makes for a delicious mixture and provides a healthy snack for the nibblers in the family. (ok, that would be each of us!) And yes, I do have a few variations, but I was ready for a new version to come into my life. Thank you Gourmet for offering that subtle spark and rejuvenating my standard side dish. And thank you t0 Gourmet Unbound for nudging me towards this delish variation.
Grilled Corn with Marinated Tomatoes
Corn from Farmer’s Daughter, tomatoes from Lon’s
inspired by Corn and Tomato Scramble
Gourmet July 2009
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 TBS rice vinegar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds tomatoes, cut into bite size pieces
4 green onions
6 ears corn, shucked
1. Whisk together oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, mix gently, and set aside.
2. Heat grill to medium high. Grill green onions and corn until each are slightly charred. Remove from grill and allow to cool. Cut kernels from corn cobs and slice green onions into 1/4 inch pieces. Add to marinated tomatoes and mix gently. Serve cooled or at room temperature.
- With seasonal ingredients, this is simply delicious!
- I tend to go heavy on the black pepper with tomatoes, so hold back if that is not your personal bent.
- The original recipe actually required you to dirty a pan. Obviously that needed to be changed.
- Yes, those are people fishing in our back yard. Life on the lake is not for those requiring their home to be a sanctuary of privacy.