Another crazy long day at work, and my family was off at water polo scrimmages and would not be home until late. If my solo dinner was going to happen at all, it had to be super simple and tastey enough to make it worth even that much effort. Mmmmmm, spinach pesto was in the fridge and some shrimp were in the freezer. Add a little pasta for comfort. Perfecto!
Sometimes we buy those bags of frozen shrimp and just make them all up in one perfect low country boil kinds of meals, but lately, we’ve just kept frozen shrimp in the freezer to use a small handful in this or that. Makes us feel pampered and like we’re “all that.”
The pesto made with just barely enough oil had me a bit worried about whether or not it would properly coat the pasta. The resolution was a to spoon some spinach pesto into a mixing bowl, add a bit of pasta water before dumping the pasta in the colander, and voila, success!
Linguine with Spinach Pesto and Shrimp
Handful of Shrimp
1. Boil water for linguine and cook according to package instructions.
2. Thaw a handful of shrimp. Heat a saute pan over medium heat, add a bit of oil to coat the bottom. Dry the shrimp and add to the pan when it is hot. Flip over each shrimp after 1 minute, cook for another minute, and turn off heat.
3. Place 3 TBS spinach pesto per serving into a mixing bowl, and add 1 TBS pasta water as pasta finishes cooking, and mix.
4. Drain pasta and place in bowl with pesto. Gently mix to coat the pasta.
5. Plate the pasta, top with shrimp and parmesan.