This is a perfect Fall salad, with the sweetness of the pears, salty and savory flavors from the Gorgonzola, and the toasty crunch of the walnuts. If you’re looking for a nice salad that you can toss together earlier in the day and dress at the last minute, this is a beauty. Just one more reason it is perfect for a Kaleidoscope dinner. 🙂
butter lettuce or red leaf lettuce, torn into pieces
1 pear, cored and diced
1/3 cup walnuts roughly chopped
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS wine vinegar
1 TBS grainy mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1. Toast walnuts in the oven or in a skillet on the stove until just darkening.
2. Lightly mix the lettuce, pear, and walnuts in a serving bowl.
3. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Gently pour dressing over the salad and mix.
4. Sprinkle lightly with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese.
* Select a nice deep green lettuce for this salad. Don’t use iceberg or those anemic looking hearts of romaine here; crunch from lettuce just doesn’t belong here.
* Go easy with the cheese. Remember, this is about balance. If there is too much cheese, it gets a mushy feeling when you eat it, and that is not the goal here.
* For mixing salad dressings, I actually just pour all of the ingredients into a small canning jar, screw on the lid, and shake ‘er on up. Easy and kinda fun!