Oh, the beauty of simplicity. This was a match made in heaven: fontina cheese in my fridge from the grilled pizza night, local garlic from Tachella Family Farms, an heirloom tomato from Lon’s Organic, and my own craving for carbs. Mmmmmmmm, that all adds up to cheesy garlic bread with tomato. I just grabbed a nice, fresh loaf of french bread on the way home and tossed together this perfect snack.
Note: all measurements are estimates here, as this was one of those “a bit of this and a handful of that” kinds of deals.
1/2 cup fontina cheese, grated
2 cloves garlic
1 TBS flat leaf parsley
1 heirloom tomato, sliced (optional)
4 slices french bread
1. Heat grill to about 350 degrees.
2. Put cheese, garlic, and parsley in a mini food processor and pulse about 5 times, until the garlic pieces are incorporated.
3. Lightly brush olive oil on one side of the french bread and place olive oil side up on the grill for one to two minutes. You want the bread to start crisping on the bottom without the crusts getting dark.
4. Flip the bread over and top each slice with a quarter of the cheese mixture. Leave on the grill for about 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese is melting.
5. Remove the cheesy garlic bread from the grill. Top each with a tomato slice or two, if desired.